First of all I would like to thank each of you for making it possible to have such an amazing community.
I’ve been part of the community since a few weeks and I already have received so much from you guys.
So here is my first contribution to this community of learners and doers.
I hope you’ll enjoy it.
This is a trick I discovered myself so this is something truly exclusive to freesoff.com
** Please don’t share it outside freesoff as it may adversely affect it effectiveness **
Here’s how to access a shockingly large trove of learning materials
The trick consists of creating an account with US sfpl.org (San Francisco Public Library) with a fake identity and profit from free services offered by this rich library!
To be on the safe side:
- Use a US VPN (though it may work without, I haven’t tested)
- During the setup change your machine time zone to PST (Pacific Standard Time)
- Use a realistic email (don’t use [email protected]) as the account creation may be reviewed by humans
1) Create a fake San Francisco Resident Identity
Use a fake persona from this Persona Generator (This way you have correct ZipCode, Phoner number, etc) Face savoring food
As SFPL will check for the existence of the address street use this street address generator for your fake persona.
A this step note the purported birthdate as it will be used to derive the password
2) Create a Account at San Francisco Public Library
Create an account here (https://sflib1.sfpl.org/selfreg). The library will send you an email within 1/2 days with :
- Card ID: ‘Patron Code’ that you’ll use as a Card ID when you’ll connect there
- Pin: mmdd of the persona birthdate
This hack is a consequence of the Covid19. All temporary Digital Cards will expire on June 30, 2021…
3) Connect to sfpl.org and enjoy!
- Go to https://sfpl.org/books-and-media/ebook-collections, login with your the Card ID reveived by email and the mmdd of your birthday date and get access to thousands of ebooks and audio books!
- Video Courses
- Treehouse (https://sfpl.libanswers.com/faq/224784) with help here (https://sfpl.libanswers.com/faq/224784) I received an email Treehouse with a priviledge to create a free account only after 4 days. But it works
- Lynda (https://www.lynda.com/portal/patron?org=sfpl.org) with help here (https://sfpl.libanswers.com/faq/167354)
- Udemy (6000 courses) (https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/apps/udemy/auth?prodId=UDEMY&userGroupName=sfpl_main) with help here (https://sfpl.libanswers.com/faq/316756) This one didn’t work for me as my account was flagged as suspicious My guess is that UDEMY flags connections with IP outside of San Francisco or even maybe IP known to belong to VPN networks. I used NordVPN to access with an US IP (but not from California). Does someone of you have access to a VPN with an exit IP in California (and hopefully absent from VPN IPs blacklists)
- Technical ebooks and video course on SkillSoft (https://www.ezproxy.sfpl.org/sso/skillport)
- Gale Courses (http://education.gale.com/l-sfpl/)
- Gale ESL and conversational Courses (http://education.gale.com/l-sfpl/)
- Technical Books
- Technical books on Safari Online Books (https://www.ezproxy.sfpl.org/login?url=https://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/?uicode=califa) with help here (https://sfpl.libanswers.com/faq/194469)
- Business and Academic Books with EBSCO (https://www.ezproxy.sfpl.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost&defaultdb=nlebk)
- General books
- Via Overdrive or Libby Applications (https://sfpl.overdrive.com/)
- Via Axis360 application (http://sfpl.axis360.baker-taylor.com/)
- Via Hoopla Application (https://www.hoopladigital.com/browse/ebook/popular)
- Via SFPL Bibliocommons (https://sfpl.bibliocommons.com/)
- Business & Statistics Databases
- Statista (https://www-statista-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/)
- Morning Star Library (http://library.morningstar.com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/)
- Mergentonline (https://www-mergentonline-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/basicsearch.php)
- EBSCO Databases (http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.sfpl.org): Reference Books, magazines, Business Resources, Images Database, Consumer Health, Ehost Mobile, NoveList k-8 Plus, Explora Public Libraries, Rosetta Stone Library Solution, Explorar MasterFile, Flipster, Publication finder, Auto Repair Source
- News & Magazines
- PressReader (https://www-pressreader-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/)
- GALE OneFile (https://go-gale-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/)
- Proquest GlobalNews (https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/globalnews/index)
- Academic Databases
- Video Courses
The way to access all those resources differs from site to site. For the first access you may use the links given above or access the resources from *sfpl.org (connect and go to ‘Research & learn’ or ‘Books and Media’ and you’ll be guided to the desired resource.). After that:
- some resources will allow you to use a standard login/password
- others will require that you connect to sfpl.org first and connect from there
- still others will give you a special url to access them But remember that it’s always possible to access all thoses resources by first connecting to sfpl.org*
And much more resources are accessible at sfpl.org !
So enjoy and let freesoff be the best learning & doing community! High voltage